Reuel E. Schiller
- Forging Rivals: Race, Class, and the Fate of Postwar Liberalism (Cambridge Univ. Press 2015).
- Mourning King: The Civil Rights Movement and the Fight for Economic Justice, 27 New Lab. F. 12 (2018). URL
- The Birth of the Birth Certificate: Age, Child Labor and the Growth of the Administrative State, JOTWELL 112 (May 13, 2016) (reviewing Susan J. Pearson, "Age Ought to be a Fact": The Campaign Against Child Labor and the Rise of the Birth Certificate, J. of Am. Hist. 101 (2015)). FULLTEXT URL
- Conflicting Obligations: American Political Culture and the Law of the Workplace, 30 Nihon Univ. Comp. L. 1 (2013). FULLTEXT
- Introduction: Examining Legal Liberalism in California, 7 Cal. Legal Hist. 349 (2012) (Student Symposium on California Aspects of the Rise and Fall of Legal Liberalism). HEIN URL
- Regulating the Workplace: Three Models of Labor and Employment Law in the United States, 29 Nihon Univ. Comp. L. 1 (2012). FULLTEXT
- Different Cultures, Different Conflicts: Sex Discrimination Law and the United States and Japan, 28 Nihon Univ. Comp. L. 141 (2011). FULLTEXT
- "It is Not Wisdom, but Authority that Makes a Law:" A Historical Perspective on the Problem of Creating a Restatement of Employment Law, 13 Emp. Rts. & Emp. Pol'y J. 39 (2009). SSRN
- The Administrative State, Front and Center: Studying Law and Administration in Postwar America, 26 Law & Hist. Rev. 415 (2008). FULLTEXT SSRN
- The Era of Deference: Courts, Expertise, and the Emergence of New Deal Administrative Law, 106 Mich. L. Rev. 399 (2007). FULLTEXT SSRN
- "Saint George and the Dragon": Courts and the Development of the Administrative State in Twentieth-Century America, 17 J. Pol'y Hist. 110 (2005) (reprinted in New Directions in Policy History 110 (Julian E. Zelizer ed., Pa. State Univ. Press 2005)). SSRN
- The Emporium Capwell Case: Race, Labor Law, and the Crisis of Post-War Liberalism, 25 Berkeley J. Emp. & Lab. L. 129 (2004). FULLTEXT SSRN
- Rulemaking's Promise: Administrative Law and Legal Culture in the 1960s and 1970s, 53 Admin. L. Rev. 1139 (2001). FULLTEXT SSRN
- Enlarging the Administrative Polity: Administrative Law and the Changing Definition of Pluralism, 1945-1970, 53 Vand. L. Rev. 1389 (2000). FULLTEXT SSRN
- Free Speech and Expertise: Administrative Censorship and the Birth of the Modern First Amendment, 86 Va. L. Rev. 1 (2000) (reprinted in First Amendment Law Handbook 581 (James L. Swanson ed., West Group 2001-2002 ed. 2001)). FULLTEXT SSRN
- From Group Rights to Individual Liberties: Post-War Labor Law, Liberalism, and the Waning of Union Strength, 20 Berkeley J. Emp. & Lab. L. 1 (1999). FULLTEXT SSRN
- The Strawhorsemen of the Apocalypse: Relativism and the Historian as Expert Witness, 49 Hastings L.J. 1169 (1998). FULLTEXT SSRN
Chapters In Books
- The Historical Origins of American Regulatory Exceptionalism, in Comparative Law & Regulation 55 (Francesca Bignami & David Zaring eds., Edward Elgar 2016).
- A Surprising Antagonist: Executive Deregulation and the Federal Judiciary, 1978–1992, in Making Legal History: Essays in Honor of William E. Nelson 264 (Daniel J. Hulsebosch & R. B. Bernstein eds., N.Y. Univ. Press 2013). CATALOG
- An Unexpected Antagonist: Courts, Deregulation, and Conservative Judicial Ideology, 1980–94, in Making Legal History: Essays in Honor of William E. Nelson 264 (Daniel Hulsebosch & R. B. Bernstein eds., N.Y. Univ. press 2013). CATALOG URL
- Singing the "Right-to-Work Blues": The Politics of Race in the Campaign for "Voluntary Unionism" in Post-War California, in The Right and Labor in America: Politics, Ideology, and Imagination 139 (Nelson Lichtenstein & Elizabeth Tandy Shermer eds., Univ. of Pennsylvania Press 2012). CATALOG URL
- Administrative Agencies, in 1 The Oxford International Encyclopedia of Legal History 25 (Stanley N. Katz ed., Oxford Univ. Press, 2009). CATALOG
- Kenneth Culp Davis, in The Yale Biographical Dictionary of American Law 154 (Roger K. Newman ed., Yale Univ. Press 2009). CATALOG
- Abood v. Detroit Board of Education, in Encyclopedia of the Supreme Court of the United States of America 7 (David S. Tanenhaus ed., Macmillan 2008). AMAZON URL
- Cleveland Brd. of Education v. Loudermill, in Encyclopedia of the Supreme Court of the United States of America 345 (David S. Tanenhaus ed., Macmillan 2008). AMAZON URL
- Fair Labor Standards Act, in Encyclopedia of the Supreme Court of the United States of America 173 (David S. Tanenhaus ed., Macmillan 2008). AMAZON URL
- The Story of Emporium Capwell: Civil Rights, Collective Action, and the Constraints of Union Power, in Labor Law Stories 241 (Laura J. Cooper & Catherine L. Fisk eds., 2005) (with Calvin William Sharpe & Marion G. Crain). CATALOG
- Reining in the Administrative State: World War II and the Decline of Expert Administration, in Total War and the Law: The American Home Front in World War II 185 (Daniel R. Ernst & Victor Jew eds., 2002). CATALOG URL
- Urban History as Legal History, JOTWELL (June 28, 2018)) (reviewing Kim Phillips-Fein, Fear City: New York's Fiscal Crisis and the Rise of Austerity Politics (2017)). URL
- Book Review, 122 Am. Hist. Rev. 1244 (2017) (reviewing Joshua D. Farrington, Black Republicans and the Transformation of the GOP (2016)). URL
- Ordinary Politics, Extraordinary Results: A Definitive History of the Framing of the United States Constitution, JOTWELL (May 31, 2017) (reviewing Michael J. Klarman, The Framers' Coup: The Making of the United States Constitution (2016)). URL
- Book Review, 81 J. S. Hist 242 (2015) (reviewing Jeffrey D. Hockett, A Storm Over This Court: Law, Politics and Supreme Court Decision Making in Brown v. Board of Education (2013)).
- Book Review, 31 Law & Hist. Rev. 639 (2013) (reviewing Joanna L. Grisinger, The Unwieldy American State: Administrative Politics Since the New Deal (2012)).
- Law, Liberalism, and the New History of the Civil Rights Movement, 61 Hastings L.J. 1257 (2010) (reviewing Thomas J. Sugrue, Sweet Land of Liberty: The Forgotten Struggle for Civil Rights in the North (2008)). HEIN WL
- Book Review, 19 Law & Hist. Rev. 462 (2001) (reviewing Jeffrey D. Hockett, New Deal Justice: The Constitutional Jurisprudence of Hugo L. Black, Felix Frankfurter, and Robert H. Jackson (1996)). HEIN
- Regulation's Hidden History, 25 Reviews in American History 416 (1997) (reviewing William J. Novak, The People's Welfare: Law and Regulation in Nineteenth–Century America (1996)).
- Note, Conflicting Obligations: Slave Law and the Late Antebellum North Carolina Supreme Court, 78 Va. L. Rev. 1207 (1992). HEIN WL
Dissertations & Theses
- Policy Ideals and Judicial Action: Expertise, Group Pluralism, and Participatory Democracy in Intellectual Thought and Legal Decision–Making, 1932–1970 (May 1997) (unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, University of Virginia) (on file with Alderman Library, University of Virginia).